Robert Anton Wilson - Prometheus Rising (copyrighted book, review only)
To get magic book to you mailbox every week please subscribe to my mailing list, using form below
Like most of my books, this text emerged only partly from my conscious design and partly from suspicious accidents. It actually began as a Ph.D. dissertation called "The Evolution of Neuro-Sociological Circuits: A Contribution to the Sociobiology of Consciousness," which I wrote in 1978-79 for an alternative university called Paideia. At that time, Paideia ranked as State Approved, the highest rating given to alternative universities in California, where we have alternatives to everything and the state feels required to clas... More >>>
Note that, unfortunately, not all my books can be downloaded or ordered on CD due to the restrictions of copyright. However, most of the books on this site do not have copyright restrictions. If you find any copyright violation, please contact me at email@example.com. I am very attentive to the issue of copyright and try to avoid any violations, but on the other hand to help all fans of magic to get access to information.
Like most of my books, this text emerged only partly from my conscious design and partly from suspicious accidents. It actually began as a Ph.D. dissertation called "The Evolution of Neuro-Sociological Circuits: A Contribution to the Sociobiology of Consciousness," which I wrote in 1978-79 for an alternative university called Paideia. At that time, Paideia ranked as State Approved, the highest rating given to alternative universities in California, where we have alternatives to everything and the state feels required to classify the alternatives on a scale of "experimental" to totally bonkers. Alas, Paideia, having achieved relative respectability as an "alternative," later joined with a
much more radical and Utopian outfit, Hawthorn University, and lost its top rank among counter-culture educational contraptions in California, falling from Approved to Authorized, a much lower rating. The whole megilla then joined into several flakey outfits loosely allied, none of which were recognized at all by the state, which suited the new honchos perfectly, since they did not recognize the state either. - Robert Anton Wilson
Robert Anton Wilson (b. January 18, 1932) is an American novelist, essayist, philosopher, psychologist, futurologist, anarchist, and conspiracy theory researcher. One of the most profound and important scientific philosophers of this century, Wilson has written many important works of fiction and non-fiction. His vast intelligence and sharp wit are sufficient to shock and enlighten the most heavily imprinted domesticated primate nervous system.
Recognized as an Episkopos, Pope, and saint of Discordianism, Wilson helped publicize the group through his writings and interviews.
Wilson described his work as an "attempt to break down conditioned associations, to look at the world in a new way, with many models recognized as models or maps, and no one model elevated to the truth". His goal being "to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone but agnosticism about everything."
Born Robert Edward Wilson in Methodist Hospital, in Brooklyn, New York, he spent his first years in Flatbush, and moved with his family to lower middle class Gerritsen Beach around the age of four or five, where they stayed until relocating to the steadfastly middle-class neighborhood of Bay Ridge when Wilson was thirteen. He suffered from polio as a child, and found generally effective treatment with the Kenny Method (created by Elizabeth Kenny) which the American Medical Association repudiated at that time. Polio's effects remained with Wilson throughout his life, usually manifesting as minor muscle spasms causing him to use a cane occasionally until 2000, when he experienced a major bout with post-polio syndrome that would continue until his death.
Wilson died peacefully on January 11 at 4:50 a.m. Pacific time. After his cremation on January 18, his family held a memorial service on February 18 and then scattered most of his ashes at the same spot as his wife's-off the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, California.
Robert Anton Wilson Bibliography:
- The Sex Magicians (1973)
- The Illuminatus! Trilogy (1975) (with Robert Shea) ("The Eye in the Pyramid", "The Golden Apple", "Leviathan")
- Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy (1979-1981) ("The Universe Next Door", "The Trick Top Hat", "The Homing Pigeons")
- Masks of the Illuminati (1981)
- The Historical Illuminatus Chronicles ("The Earth Will Shake" (1982), "The Widow's Son" (1985), "Nature's God" (1988))
Autobiographical and philosophical trilogy, "Cosmic Trigger Trilogy":
- Cosmic Trigger I: The Final Secret of the Illuminati (1977)
- Cosmic Trigger II: Down to Earth (1991)
- Cosmic Trigger III: My Life After Death (1995)
Plays and screenplays:
- Wilhelm Reich in Hell (1987)
- Reality Is What You Can Get Away With (1992; revised edition-new introduction added-1996)
- The Walls Came Tumbling Down (1997)
- Playboy's Book of Forbidden Words (1972)
- Sex and Drugs: A Journey Beyond Limits (1973)
- The Book of the Breast (1974), Revised as Ishtar Rising (1989)
- Neuropolitics (1978) (with Timothy Leary and George Koopman), Revised as Neuropolitique (1988)
- The Game of Life (1979) (with Timothy Leary)
- Prometheus Rising (1983)
- The New Inquisition (1986)
- Natural Law, or Don't Put a Rubber on Your Willy (1987)
- Sex, Drugs and Magick: A Journey Beyond Limits (1988) revision, with new introduction, of Sex and Drugs: A Journey Beyond Limits
- Quantum Psychology (1990)
- Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups (1998) (with Miriam Joan Hill)
- TSOG: The Thing That Ate the Constitution (2002)
- The Illuminati Papers (1980) collection of essays and new material
- Right Where You Are Sitting Now (1983) collection of essays and new material
- Coincidance: A Head Test (1988) essays and new material
- Email to the universe and other alterations of consciousness (2005) collection of essays and new material
- Semiotext(e) SF (1989) (anthology, editor, with Rudy Rucker and Peter Lamborn Wilson)
- Chaos and Beyond (1994) (editor and primary author)