Peter Carroll's Biography (Books)
Peter James Carroll (born 8 January 1953, in Patching, England) is a modern occultist, author, cofounder of the Illuminates of Thanateros, and practitioner of chaos magic theory.
Carroll's 1987 book Liber Null & Psychonaut is considered one of the defining works of the chaos magic movement. Carroll was a co-founder of the loosely organized group called the Illuminates of Thanateros.
In 1995, Carroll announced his desire to step down from the "roles of magus and pontiff of chaos". This statement was originally delivered at the same IOT international meeting which Carroll discussed in an article titled "The Ice War" in Chaos International.
Carroll has written columns for the Chaos International magazine currently edited by Ian Read, under the names Peter Carroll and Stokastikos, his magical name within the IOT.
In 2005, he appeared as a chaos magic instructor at Maybe Logic Academy at the request of Robert Anton Wilson, and later founded Arcanorium Occult College with other known chaos magicians on staff including Lionel Snell, Ian Read and Jaq D. Hawkins. This experience re-awoke his interest in the subject of magic and he has since continued writing.
- Liber Null (1978) and Psychonaut (1982) (published in one volume in 1987)
- Liber Kaos (1992) ISBN 0-87728-742-2
- PsyberMagick: Advanced Ideas in Chaos Magick (1995)
- The Apophenion: A Chaos Magic Paradigm (2008) ISBN
- The Octavo: A Sorcerer-Scientist's Grimoire (2010)
- EPOCH: The Esotericon & Portals of Chaos (2014)